I am not a vegan myself, but I am interested in all types of cooking and baking. Recently my parents decided to try the vegan diet out and see how they would feel after a few weeks eating mainly vegan. Their reaction was great. They lost a few kg’s and are actually eating more then ever. I absolutely love how creative you get when you’re making vegan recipes. It is amazing that you can recreate almost any type of meal without the actual animal products in it. Because of that, I try to do that sometimes. When you can make something really good, without any animal products in it.. Why not!
Today I was craving something sweet, nutty, chocolatey, anything really and I thought it was time to leave the butter, eggs and sugar where they were and make something healthy instead (but still delicious). I wanted to try to make some dessert type with avocado’s for a while now, and luckily I had two very ripe ones available. I started out with a recipe but in the end I changed it a bit to what I had in my cupboards and it turned out pretty nicely.
Aren’t those colors out of this world?! The best thing about these avocado ice cream cakes, is that it looks like it took a lot of work, but it really doesn’t.
What you’ll need:
- 2/3 cups almonds, roasted
- 1/2 cup dates, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried prunes, cut in small pieces
- 2 ripe avocado’s
- zest of a lime
- juice of a lime
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 spoons of powdered sugar
- 300 gr dark chocolate
- 2 spoons coconut oil
- paper cupcake molds
How to make them:
- Crush the roasted almonds small and mix together with the dates and prunes until it’s sticking together. If you see that it need’s to be more sticky, use some more prunes.
- Take the paper molds, and take one spoon of the almond mix and put it inside. Press it really hard so that it all stays together. When you finish, put all the molds in the fridge.
- Mix together the avocado, lime, lime zest, vanilla and powdered sugar until it has a smooth texture. Take the molds out of the fridge and spoon the avocado mixture ont op of the bottom. Place back in the fridge for 1-2 hours until it hardened.
- When you see it is hardened, you can melt the chocolate and the coconut oil together in a little saucepan. When it’s melted, pour again on top of the rest.
- Leave in the fridge for another hour or so. When it’s all hardened, it should be easy to take off the paper mold.
Yum! I would love to know if you have other recipes with avocado, or what your favorite vegan dessert is. Enjoy!