When I woke up yesterday morning, I looked out and saw a fantastic grey sky with a few raindrops on the window. YES! I immediately started thinking about breakfast, as usual, and remembered that I bought some buckwheat flour the day before.
Buckwheat is incredibly healthy, gluten free, high in essential nutrients and kind of un -known to me. I know that here in Italy they make “Pizzoccheri” with buckwheat flour. It’s a type of pasta from the north of Italy, and really delicious. So, I’ve only tried a salty version, and I was interested to find out some more recipes with this flour.
There are many recipes out there that use buckwheat flour, and it’s kind of a great option if you’re gluten free. I saw pizza crusts, cakes, cookies, pasta, bread.. everything you can imagine. I will definitely be trying out more recipes, but I started with something fast and easy. Pancakes!
- 100 gr buckwheat flour
- 200 ml almond milk
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ahorn syrup / maple syrup
- Mix flour, cacao, cinnamon and baking powder together.
- Mash the banana and add the milk to it.
- Blend everything together and heat some oil up in a pan.
- Bake the pancakes, add some fruit and ahorn syrup for a little bit extra sweetness.
I think they turned out great. Because of the buckwheat flour they have a more hearty flavor. Adding fruits and a sweet syrup gives it the perfect balance. Have you ever used buckwheat flour? Let me know if you have!